Bridesmaids

At the recent RWNZ conference, I was interested in a list of movies that Harlequin editor Sheila Hodgson suggested as good to watch if you're considering writing for the new KISS line - a short, contemporary line out of the UK. One of the movies she mentioned was Bridesmaids which I'd heard of, but had never seen. Naturally, I am totally up for watching DVDs in the name of business, so I did. And I loved Bridesmaids. So much so that I watched it twice. Yes, it was crude, disgusting in places, it was outrageous but it was so much fun. You can read more about it here on IMDB. It was completely over the top in places (the scene at the dinner where the two bridesmaids first meet was a bit much and too cringe-worthy for me) but there were so many funny moments. The food poisoning one especially - who can forget the scene of Melissa McCarthy sitting in the sink. My gosh, that woman is funny. I loved Kristen Wiig too. I'd seen her in "Friends with Kids (another movie on the list, which I shall discuss another day) but her role in that film was pretty low key. In this, she was great. Kind of like she could be your best friend. She gets a little crazy, but her boyfriend's a dick, she's lost her business... Wendy McLendon-Covey - just loved her as well. I had to google where I'd seen her before - Reno 911. I really liked the Chris O'Dowd character too - again, I'd first seen him in "Friends with Kids" where he had a bigger role, and he was lovely in this movie, too. So I would say if you haven't seen it, give it a go. It's probably not everyone's cup of tea, but there are so many likeable parts of this movie, that I'd watch it again in a heartbeat. Here is a trailer. Interestingly, there are some bits in the trailer that weren't in the movie. Hmmmm...