Yep, its another Christmas movie, folks

I'm at it again, ducking into charity shops and checking out the DVDs. It's such a good thing. You get to buy something you want cheap and the money goes to charity. Plus I think I've only ever bought one DVD that didn't play because of the whole region thing but I must find out how to watch it somehow, because its a Doris Day and Cary Grant film. Cary Grant!!! So... I watched the movie this evening, "Get Santa." I hadn't heard of the film before, but it has Jim Broadbent in it and I loved him as Bridget Jones' dad in that movie. It's great Christmas fantasy stuff, with Santa Claus, reindeer and a sleigh, plus as it turned out, a great cast. As I watched the opening credits I saw it also had Jodie Whittaker (Broadchurch/Dr Who) and Joanna Scanlan, who plays Ma Larkin in The Larkins, the second season of which is on our TVs just now. Anyhoo, I loved Get Santa. (I think it's fair to say there are only a handful of Christmas movies I've watched and have not liked). As I watched this one, it struck me how very different it was to the American Hallmark-style movie, which are romance, let's face it, but just very different in tone and setting. Not to mention they have huge houses with masses of lights. This was very different in that repect, especially as a bit of it took part in a prison. It's a lovely family movie, about a dad who is releaed from prison and risks going back when his son convinces him they need to save Christmas. It reminded me of one of my other all-time favourite films, The Railway Children, that came out in the 1970s and is also set in England. So, if I were rating it, it would be a top rater. As in, maybe one to put on and watch again on Christmas Eve.