Knitting

I have taken up knitting because... why not? It is not something I have every tried to any great degree but there is something about sitting there, knitting away and being productive that has a lot of appeal. My mum always knitted, back in the day when my sister and I got to choose the wool for our cool ponchos and in our teens, our cool jerseys. I got to thinking about kniting a while back when some of my younger colleagues at work were talking about it and I thought, why not? A friend offered to teach me but we never seemed to be able to get together and so one day I stole borrowed needles from the knitting bag in mum's cupboard, surfed videos, but then decided to go old school, and borrowed a book from the library. It wasn't much chop, to be honest. Quite confusing. But then I had a mental image of how to cast on and knit, most likely from the last time I decided to learn how to knit when I was twenty or something, and surprisingly it worked.
So I have finished my first actual piece.
A black scarf. There are lots of holes in it. Thus is must be worn only with black.
There are also several bits where I had put down the needles half way through a row, then when I picked it up had no idea which needle was for which. Most times I got it wrong and it came up all bumpy. I guess there's a technical term for that.
But I really like it. It's quite addictive, kind of fun, the thought that one day decade I may be able to knit my own custom jersey second scarf, is kind of exciting.  Plus it's a neat thing to do when you don't want to do anything else. Good fun. Especially if your standards are low. Darned good fun.