Autumnal reads

Ah, reading. Perfect all the year round, but even better in the best seasons of the year, autumn and winter, hence the picture of some wintry trees in the Manawatu.
I’m starting back at the beginning, and I’ve read the first Jack Reacher, Killing Floor. It went with me on the bus to work, to the staff room for my breaks, on the bus back home, and at home. Boy, it was gripping. However, I did do one bad thing in that I had to skip to the end to see what happened to Reacher’s love interest, Roscoe. I just could not face reading the second half not knowing if she made it or not. I had to be prepared, I’ll say no more on that (Yes, I'm a failure when it comes to suspense.) I also decided I should read Pride and Prejudice. I hadn’t watched the Colin Firth TV series, but I had seen the movie with Keira Knightley and rather (very much) liked it. I especially liked Donald Sutherland as the pop. What a character. So I dragged out a copy of P & P determined to read it. But I couldn’t. There I was thinking I’d become an Austen girl, going around quoting bits, wearing Austen fan girl T-shirts, but I just couldn’t. This is terrible, so I think maybe I should read one that I haven’t seen the movie of. I recall that once, a long time ago, I got out the TV series on DVD for a blitz, and only watched one episode. Maybe there’s actually no point, I don’t know. I did read a new author, however, that I totally loved,  Illona Andrews. It was a novella called Magic Steals, in an anthology. In fact, I read it on a short flight recently, and was hooked. Could not put it down.  I'm not an urban fantasy paranormal reader really (an exception is Nalini Singh’s Psy Changeling series) but I totally loved the novella, and Illona Andrew’s writing, and I've got some in a series to get stuck into soon, just ready and waiting. I am also one day going to really stop saying "I am not an urban fantasy reader" because clearly... I am!! I just haven't read a lot of it - yet!
~ Joanne